The Best Tips for Thawing Frozen Pipes
Frozen pipes during winter months are a severe problem. Frozen pipes can burst, leading to costly repairs and possible flooding. Fortunately, there are a few tips you can keep in mind to help thaw frozen pipes quickly and safely.
Causes of Frozen Pipes
Several reasons can lead to frozen pipes.
The most common is when temperatures drop below freezing and cause the water in the pipes to freeze. Cold weather is the most common cause of frozen pipes.
Poor insulation, uninsulated pipes in an exterior wall, or a low thermostat can also contribute to frozen pipes.
Signs Your Pipes Are Frozen
The most apparent sign of frozen pipes is no water coming out of faucets. Frozen pipes may also make a loud banging noise or create an odd smell in the house. If you are still determining whether your pipes are frozen, contact a plumber for help.
Safely Thawing Frozen Pipes
- The most crucial step when thawing frozen pipes is to shut off your water supply. This prevents further damage from occurring should the pipes burst.
- Once the water is shut off, open all faucets to allow air movement throughout the pipe and help speed up thawing.
- Carefully apply heat to the frozen areas using a space heater, hair dryer, or heat tape. (Do not use an open flame like a torch or candle to thaw frozen pipes.)
- Check your home for any remaining frozen areas after the initial thaw, and continue applying heat until all the water is flowing freely.
- It’s also essential to identify and fix any areas of poor insulation or uninsulated pipes in your home to prevent future freezing.
Following these tips, you can quickly and safely thaw frozen pipes while avoiding costly repairs. If you have any doubts about the process, contact a plumber for assistance.
How Long Does It Take For Pipes To Unfreeze?
It depends on several factors, such as the temperature of the surrounding air and how much insulation is around the pipes. Generally, it can take anywhere from minutes to hours to thaw the pipe.
However, if you have tried all of the steps above and the water is still not flowing properly, it’s best to contact a professional plumber.
Why Choose Done Right Plumbing For Unfreezing Pipes?
Done Right Plumbing has been in the plumbing industry for years and is dedicated to providing quality plumbing services.
- Our experienced plumbers are knowledgeable in all plumbing areas, including quickly and safely thawing frozen pipes.
- We understand the importance of running your water correctly, so we strive to fix any plumbing issues as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- We provide fast, reliable service that will keep your water running quickly.
If you suspect your pipes have frozen, don’t wait – contact a professional plumber immediately.
If you’re having any issues with your pipes, don’t hesitate to contact Done Right Plumbing.
Call us today at (425) 245-7552 or visit our website for more information.
Let us take care of all your plumbing needs